I took a hiatus from blogging to concentrate on a new job and getting some thing at home in order. Things look peachy now. No new steampunk or victorian projects at the moment, although I seem to have an obsession with cotton faille lately. This could lead to something soon. Currently I am attempting to finish quilting a king size quilt and not having much luck. My sewing mojo has been coming and going lately. Can't wait to post some new pics soon.
July 1, 2012
December 31, 2011
After much measuring, cutting, pinning and sewing, let me just say, "IT LIVES!" That probably sounds like something you would hear around Halloween but, in this case, the phrase is justified. The bodice all but stands on its own and the spiral boning in the train of the skirt makes the hemline act as if it has a life of its own. So, without further ado....The purple people eater.
|Truly Victorian patterns were used for the skirt, petticoat and bodice. The dinner bodice pattern from the natural form era was used for the bodice with major changes to the sleeve. Lots of trim! Let the trimming begin!|
|The fantail skirt pattern was used for the skirt. The train is lovely but it needed lots of support to make it lay correctly. Horsehair braid and spiral steel boning went a long way in this case.|
|Detail shot of train.|
|Bodice and button detail|
|The necklace was made with dyed beads and a pendant from various sources.|
|Have pattern and sewing machine, will make things. Just a detail shot of the ribbon on the hat.|
August 19, 2011
So, I stared at the three bodice patterns I have in my possession and decided I don't like any of them for what I want to make. It sucks, especially when I'm on a deadline. Yes, I have plenty of time before the weekend of September 17 but, I want this finished well ahead of time with enough time to crank out another dress if I feel so inclined. The upside is that I already have the fabric for the other dress and can start on that while I wait on the pattern for the blue dress to come in.
August 16, 2011
Aren't my titles so original lately? I'll blame it on sleep deprivation brought on by my sewing mojo being in overdrive.
So here is the skirt that goes with the cage crinoline and petticoat from the two previous posts. I've been a busy girl. The skirt is made of silk taffeta and is self faced.
August 15, 2011
I love muslin. In the last two months, I have gone through 4 25yd bolts of the stuff and now I need more. But here is what ate up my last bolt, aside from chemises and test fittings.
August 14, 2011
Here is what my table looked like while I was putting my elliptical cage crinoline together (pattern by www.trulyvictorian.com). Normally my table is clutter free while working on a project but it looked like my sewing shelf threw up during this particular project.
It is made with a muslin bag for the bottom hoops, finished with a zig-zag stitch, which I wasn't very impressed with and do think from now on I will just fold it over like I usually do. The actual cage was built with 1/2" hooping wire, also from Truly Victorian, pre-made bone casing (Delicious llc.), a belting kit I have had laying around for a LONG time and a whole lot of patience. Hooping, I found, does not like to behave very well when it gets into cramped spaces. My boyfriend had to keep coming inside from working on his truck to hold the thing up for me while I fed it under the machine. A word of caution if working on this project alone, always let someone know where you are and what you are doing. I got hung up a few times in the wires. But then again, I was supposed to sew the horizontal bones on by hand :/. I had to be smart and show it could be done by machine.
All in all, the end result was very much worth the effort.
August 2, 2011
July 28, 2011
I used Truly Victorian Patterns (www.trulyvictorian.com). The combination is the Vest Basque, Grand Parlor Skirt and Grand Bustle. My chemise and Corset are by Laughing Moon Mercantile (www.lafnmoon.com). I used the Silverado corset pattern.
The outfit is made of two shades of silk dupioni. There are plans to add single fold bias trim to the tails of the bodice as seen on the collar and cuffs. Also there will be a 4 inch knife pleat ruffle added around the hem of the skirt. My passamenterie is going to be rather utilitarian with this dress as I feel the colors and design speak plenty on their own. It has been in the works for the better part of two weeks and is still not completely finished but by this weekend, all should be done.
July 15, 2011
July 12, 2011
|Completed Corset (minus lacing aglets which came in the mail today)|
|back view of completed corset|
|collar detail of chemise|
|hem detail of chemise|
|gusset detail of chemise|
|inside sleeve detail (Houston, we have a boo-boo) showing felled seams|
|crotchless bloomers anyone?|
|hem detail of bloomers|
|victorian busk (white) vs. elizabethan busk (wooden)|
Victorian underwear project well underway! I am waiting on some hoopsteel to come in the mail and I can begin on my crinolines. Don't forget the bustles too! I'm making a bustle dress too. Pictures forthcoming when I get the project underway. Currently I am working on a bust gore version of the corset and am planning on making a sleeveless chemise. I feel like a sleeveless one would be more comfortable for me and may be placing the one in the pictures in my etsy shop. Any interested parties can email me ahead of time. One thing worth noting on the corset is the spread at the top of the busk. Ehem, the lovely model which I have nicknamed Mrs. Wallace is larger chested than I am, therefore causing the pulling apart of the fabric. This detail has been duly noted and I will probably be installing a hook and eye to prevent this from happening anymore.
June 23, 2011
Stupid phone won't let me use the text correctly... That's supposed to be *called
Posted by The Faded Stitch at 7:27 PM
Posted by The Faded Stitch at 7:22 PM