May 28, 2009

One of My "Busy" Projects

This is one of the projects that has helped keep me busy through last week.  My ironing board cover screamed "you're wrong" every time I tried to iron on it.  Really, there was no excuse for the shape it was in other than sheer laziness.  I dropped everything to make a new cover, which I'm very happy with.  I used a Kwik Sew pattern for the cover, sleeve roll, and tailor's ham.  The pattern called for the ham and roll to be filled with saw dust.  Not having any of that readily available and having no clue where to get it, I opted for rice.  This seemed a reasonable substitute to me.  Each piece was easy to put together and turned out well.  The board cover pattern was made for a board a bit larger than mine.  I just need to go it and tighten up the elastic to make it fit better (that's where the gathering is coming from).  I am keeping this pattern in my stash as a "go-to" pattern for future purposes.  Another board cover is in order so I can rotate the two out and save some wear and tear on them.

May 27, 2009

Alexis' First Project and Sewing Machine

The gods have decided to teach me patience.  I am teaching Alexis to sew.  I got her a machine from and estate sale a couple of months ago.  After about an hour of adjusting and playing with the machine it was ready to go.  I had her cut, lay, and pin the pattern out over the last three days.  She decided to make pajama pants.  It's a Simplicity "Learn to Sew" pattern, #3553.  It is a modern pattern.  She chose some striped flannel from my stash and we had just enough.  The machine is a 1975 Singer Fashion Mate Model 360.  It had several different feet and fashion discs for decorative stitching.  It's also mounted in a beautiful table.  Alexis is doing rather well on straight stitches and is working on curves.  She did an outstanding job pinning the pattern to the flannel, she did all of it by herself.   I've had her practicing on scraps before she starts each section.  I'm happy she has taken such an interest in sewing and wanting to learn.

May 26, 2009

Confessions of a Pattern Hoarder

I just keep buying more.  There are boxes full of patterns in my closet that I need to re-home and yet I keep buying more.  In search of those elusive "my size" patterns with just the right look to them.  When will it stop?  I guess i will be drowning in pattern paper before I stop.

May 25, 2009

My Apologies

I am attempting to make my blog more user friendly.  I have screwed up.  This will only be a temporary background until I find one that suits my needs.  There needs to be more room across for larger pictures to be inserted without making the posts a mile long.  If anyone has any suggestions as to where I might find something like I'm looking for, please leave me a comment.

Update, I like this template better but now I need to figure out how to change some colors, the pink has to go from the backgrounds.  I think purple would be great and wouldn't clash with the flowers.

Ann's Dress

Our neighbor's daughter is almost 2.  She's a very SMALL 2.  I used a size 2 pattern to cut this dress and just cut the seam allowance off to make it smaller.  She should have room to grow into the dress over the summer.  I used the rest of the cherry fabric that was left over from making Alexis' dress.  It took some creative cutting to get it to work but it did.  This is just one of the many projects I've been working on this week around cleaning and hosting a yard sale.  We will be making our big move to Pennsylvania next week and I wanted Ann's dress finished before we left.  The back has and elastic casing built into the inside of the waistline in the back.  I used some cheap silk to make the facing with and hem tape to finish the hem.  Ann is tall and thin and I didn't want to lose and length on the skirt while making this.  The pattern was a 1955 McCall's, #3346.  

Have a Good Memorial Day!

Pyzam Glitter Text Maker